Thursday, March 10, 2005

Parody Time: "Co-Dependent Baby"

All the songs on "Non-Plugged" are original compositions (though some of the chord changes are very familiar; and while "Hundred Dollar Honey" apes the lyrical conceit of "I Found a Million Dollar Baby," the tune is mine). Still, I have written many parodies, including this one of "Melancholy Baby" (which surely must be in the Public Domain by now):


Come, sweetheart mine--
Don't snort that line,
Put away your crack pipe and your airplane glue;
Lay off those pills--
Darling, speed kills;
I kind of wish you'd ease up on the vodka, too.
Though you protest,
I know what's best--
When you're clean and sober you'll be feeling swell;
But when you toke,
Drink, or do coke,
I love you more than ever though it hurts like hell:

Come to me, my co-dependent baby,
Cuddle up and don't despair;
Your substance problems, whatsoever they be,
Are just the sort of thing to make me care;
You know dear that I would never leave you,
And here's a fact that's sad but true--
Though it seems like suicide
I must have you for my bride:
I guess I must be co-dependent, too.

- - -

Dear, when you jones
And take out loans
Just to buy the junk that keeps you acting straight;
I know it's wrong
But go along
Though I know the stuff will kill you soon or late;
I feel a twinge
Each time you binge--
And it's not unpleasant if you get my drift;
Life will be drab
Once you rehab--
For every time you're high it gives my mood a lift:

Come to me, my co-dependent baby,
Cuddle up and shoot some horse;
If you join a twelve-step program, maybe
That will be what leads to our divorce;
For though I vow to care for you in sickness
Once you're healthy, dear, we're through;
But there can be no doubt
Just as long as you're strung out
I'll love you, 'cause I'm co-dependent, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home